Lukey and the cows

Lukey and the cows
Lukey loves cows!

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Adventures in Homeschooling!!

























This is our third week of homeschooling. I believe we are finally getting into the groove of things. I am trying to find out all that Lukey, my son has learned in public school and so far, I am rather disappointed. He is in the 4th grade and I'm wondering how he got so far not knowing how to write letters and numbers the right way. So therefore I am beginning with the basics. Handwriting, mathematics and reading. He is an excellent reader though which I knew all about but the teachers would complain because he never liked to read outloud.


I love homeschooling and feel that this is what I was meant to do. I love to teach and to teach my own child is a dream come true!! He is now at a perfect age where he will actually sit and listen. This is also wonderful because I am learning as well!! We are in VA so I am following the SOL guidelines. Our social studies guidelines are that we must learn about Virginia which seems a little self absorbed of a curicullum. I actually dislike VA quite a bit but the more I learn the more interesting it becomes. For instance, George Washington, the father of our country actually was born right down the road in Wakefield. And he was here in Suffolk, discovered the Dismal Swamp. We also learned about Thomas Jefferson and all the good things he did instead of me thinking he was just a slave owner who had children with his slaves, he actually considered himself one of the common folk and helped establish the Louisiana Purchase from Napolean! The Virginia history is so rich. Who would have guessed??

No comments:

Post a Comment